- Cheryl E. Martin & Mark Wasserman. Latin America and Its People Volume 1. 3rd edition. New York: Longman Press, 2011. ISBN: 9780205054695
- Cheryl E. Martin & Mark Wasserman. Readings on Latin America & Its People Volume 1. New York: Longman Press, 2011. ISBN: 9780321355829
- Stuart B. Schwartz. Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2018. ISBN: 978-1-319-09485-0
- Laurent Dubois & John D. Garrigus, eds. Slave Revolution in the Caribbean, 1789-1804. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2006. ISBN: 978-0-312-41501-3
Accessing Course Materials:
There are several ways to access the required texts for this course:
- The required books are available for purchase at the College of Wooster bookstore or online.
- A copy of each required book is available on 2-hour/overnight reserve at the Andrews Library.
- Some course materials, including podcasts, audio slideshows, and digitized primary sources will be viewed by clicking the highlighted link in the syllabus. Read this guide for an explanation of how to connect to JStor and other restricted databases off campus.
- Articles and short book excerpts marked “arp” or “additional readings page” are available on a password-protected page in this website. Please print them out and bring them to class. Please remember to print double sided wherever possible.
Critical Book Review Texts
During the first week of class, you’ll sign up for your critical book review. Some, but not all of these books are available at the COW Library, and the others are available through Consort and/or OhioLink. It is your responsibility to check out your book or purchase it online in the weeks before your presentation in order to ensure ample time to read and critically review its contents. Excuses arising from a book not being available in the campus library or not arriving on time through Consort will not be accepted.
The complete schedule of class topics and readings is posted here.
Key to syllabus reading abbreviations:
|Martin & Wasserman||Latin America & Its People||LA&P|
|Martin & Wasserman||Readings on Latin America & Its People||LA&P Readings|
|Schwartz|| Victors & Vanquished
|Dubois & Garrigus|| Slave Revolution in the Caribbean