Research Project Sources

For my research project, I want to study the conflict between the Mapuche and Spanish/Chileans.  One possible focus point is the role of the Mapuche in the Chilean civil war between 1819-1825.  My primary source (if I can find an English version) is La Guerra a Muerte by Benjamin Vicuna Mackenna.  My secondary sources include Troubled Negotiations: The Mapuche and the Chilean State by Joanna Crow, Between Lof and the Liberators: Mapuche Authority in Chile’s Guerra a Muerte by Jesse Zarley, The Mapuche in Modern Chile: A Cultural History by Joanna Crow, and Monuments, Empires, and Resistance: The Araucanian Polity and Ritual Narratives by Tom D. Dillehay

3 thoughts on “Research Project Sources

1. Miki R.

This is an awesome idea! Last semester, I got to spend a week and a half with a Mapuche community in a small town called Curarrehue in Chile during a study abroad program and learned so much about their struggle during the civil war. There are also a lot of similarities with the resiliency and strength they exhibit today through their struggles against the Chilean state for land and water sovereignty.

Reply