Research: Christopher Columbus effects on the New World and a comparison of how he was depicted then versus now

I would like to study Christopher Columbus as a person, his effects on Latin America, and how he is portrayed today. I think that it would be fascinating to delve into him as a person, which would illustrate the views of Spanish explorers and conquistadors at that time period. I think that it would also be especially interesting to compare how he is celebrated in America versus what his actions were and how he affected these civilizations. Christopher Columbus’s importance is well known, as he opened up the New World to Europe, and researching him as a person would bring a greater understanding to both sides of the world at this time period.

Primary Source

Columbus’ Coat of Arms inĀ Christopher Columbus, His Book of Privileges, https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/1492/columbus.html

Secondary Sources

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/1492/columbus.html (Library of Congress exhibit on Christopher Columbus

The Worlds of Christopher Columbus By William D. Phillips

North American Hero? Christopher Columbus 1702-2002 By John P. Larner

Discovering Christopher Columbus: How History is Invented By Kathy Pelta

2 thoughts on “Research: Christopher Columbus effects on the New World and a comparison of how he was depicted then versus now

1. N Praml

This is a great idea. I like how you will be tying in contemporary perspectives on Columbus and contrasting them with his actual deeds and worldview. I don’t know if it would be helpful when considering European modes of thought, but one source that immediately comes to mind is Anthony Grafton’s “A Bound World.” I believe that he discusses European perceptions of the unknown and the “other,” which might be useful for thinking about Columbus’ point of view.

Reply
  2. Katie Holt

I agree: critical biography is a great way to balance a deep study of one individual with your analysis of the larger historical context. Make sure you’re picking scholarly sources that represent current thinking from a variety of perspectives. Valerie Flint’s (ok, this one is older, but very useful) “The Imaginative Landscape of CC” will be helpful. The Pelta book is for middle schoolers. Come see me for help!

Reply